If you are searching for “discord not picking up mic,” you probably don’t need an introduction to discord!
This VOIP service usually works quite smoothly, but it’s just another app like all the millions of apps out there, and just like those other apps, this one too has quite a few bugs.
Though there are frequent updates about fixing those bugs some bugs never get fixed despite numerous updates.
Discord not picking up the mic issue isn’t just a regular bug, but it has quite a lot of external factors tied to it as well that cause this over and over.
This issue has been primarily seen in the discord desktop application and, most of the time leaves the user unable to communicate with others despite being able to hear them.
So, in this post, we will provide you with all the ways to solve the issue where Discord Not Picking Up Mic.
How To Solve Discord Not Picking Up Mic?
The issue always occurs out of the blue, but there are a few tricks to solve it, and here are those.
Check Discord Mic
Your first priority should be to make sure whether discord is able to detect your mic or not, and that can be solved with a simple mic test.
The mic test can be carried out from the Discord app itself and for that, just follow the steps mentioned below.
- Select the Settings option from the bottom left corner of the screen. You can detect it by its logo, which resembles a gear.
- After that, under App Setting, you will be able to see Voice and Videos. Choose that.
- Now, you will be able to see the Mic Test option. Just click on it and try speaking something.
After doing that, if you can hear yourself, then the problem is not with discord. But if you are not able to hear yourself, then try the solutions mentioned below one after the other until the issue is resolved.
Quite often, a lot of issues with computers and apps can be solved by simply restarting them.
So, go to System Tray and turn off the Discord app. You can right-click on the discord icon and choose Quit Discord to carry out that action.
If you want, then you can take things a bit further by restarting your computer as well.
Update The Drivers
This is one of the most common reasons for the issue to occur, and updating the drivers could easily solve the discord mic issue.
To update the drivers, you can check your soundcards and download the necessary driver from the website of the manufacturer if it’s not updated.
You can also find an auto-update tool that can scan your system from time to time and keep all the necessary drivers updated.
Reset Voice Settings
If the above solution is not working, you can try resetting the voice settings, which can be done by following the steps provided below.
- Go to the User Settings, which is located at the bottom left corner of the screen near your name.
- After that, find your way to Voice & Video tab, which is located under App Settings, and click on it.
- Now, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you will be able to see the option Reset Voice Settings in a red box. Click on it.
- Now, a prompt message will appear on the screen, and you need to select Okay.
Check Privacy and Security Settings
Not all systems come with proper privacy and security setting, and if you are having issues with the mic, that would be one of the places which you should check as well.
- Go to the Setting of your PC. You can find that in the state menu after clicking on the windows button on the bottom left corner of your screen.
- After that, choose privacy from the next screen.
- Now, from under the App Permissions, select the Microphone option.
- Now, check whether the permissions are On/Off. If it’s the latter, then turn it On.
Run As Administrator
Running as an administrator is another solution that you can try.
Sometimes apps don’t have all the necessary permissions to run smoothly and also to send your voice packages across the web.
To eliminate that possibility, you can try running it as an admin.
To carry out this action, you need to right-click on the discord app and choose Run As Administrator from the drop-down menu.
This is the last straw that you can pull to fix the issue. Re-install the app, and this will set the app to the default settings. This might solve the discord mic issue if the other above solutions cannot solve it.
So, there you have it. These are solutions that you can try to fix the issue of discord not picking up the mic.
We hope that this has been of help to you, and by following these solutions, the mic issue will be solved.
But if the problem persists, then it would be a good choice for you to reach out to the Discord support team.
Do let us know which solution worked for you!