Are you planning to play Genshin Impact but noticed a greyed-out “launch” button? This can happen when the Genshin Impact game fails to check for the update.
Before you plan to check for the reasons to fix the Genshin Impact “failed to check for updates” error, you can try the basic troubleshooting as mentioned below:
Fix: Genshin Impact Failed to Check for Updates
Restart the Genshin Impact Game
Sometimes, there might be temporary glitches in the app that can cause errors in the Genshin Impact game. To fix this, you need to restart the game. For that, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Firstly, go to your ‘Task Manager’ (if using Windows or Mac).
- Now, look for the background process (in Windows) and Activity monitor (if Mac).
- If you find the Genshin Impact game running in the background, click on the application and close it.
Now, go back to the application and click on it to restart. See if the ‘failed to check for updates’ error is fixed or not.
If the issue is still not fixed, then try to follow the next troubleshooting method, i.e., restarting your computer.
Restart Your Computer
Sometimes, a few applications might not run properly due to errors in the files. You can fix that by restarting your system. For that, check the steps mentioned below:
If you are using Mac:
Click on the Apple menu and then click on the ‘Restart’ option. In case you don’t want the same applications to reopen after the system boots, you can deselect the option ‘Reopen the Windows when logging back in.’
If you are using Windows:
- Click on the ‘Start’ (Windows logo), and there you can find the ‘Power’ option.
- Now, click on it and you can find three options – Sleep, Shut Down, Restart.
- Click on the ‘Restart’ option to reboot the system.
If the basic troubleshooting does not work in fixing the Genshin Impact’ failed to check for updates’ error, you can try other methods mentioned below.
Restart your Internet Connection
This is one of the simple yet effective ways to fix the Genshin Impact error. But, before you restart the internet connection, we recommend you check the internet speed on websites like fast.com and speedtest.net.
In case the internet speed is not proper, then we recommend you restart the router or modem. You can do that by following the steps mentioned below:
- Firstly, unplug the power cords and other cables from the back of your modem.
- Now, wait for at least 5-10 minutes before you plug back the cords.
- Now, plug in the power supply and see if all the indicators on the modem are working fine or not.
In case the internet connection is not yet fixed, after following the above process, we recommend you contact your ISP.
Try to Run the Genshin Impact Application Directly
Some players have reported that running the Genshin Impact directly has solved the ‘failed to check for updates’ error. You can try the same and check if your issue will be fixed or not.
- Firstly, follow the steps mentioned in the troubleshooting section to close the Genshin Impact from running in the background.
- Now, go to your game directory (wherever the game files are installed), and scroll down to find “launcher.exe”.
- Double-click on the launcher to open the Genshin Impact game.
Update the Drivers
Sometimes, using an outdated driver can cause problems in running an application smoothly. If you feel that you have updated the settings way long back, then we recommend you to update now and fix the ‘failed to check for updates’ error.
You can either use third-party applications to fix the drivers of your system or you can manually go to the manufacturer’s website and check for your system model number and install the drivers.
After you update the system drivers, restart it and check if the ‘failed to check for updates’ error is fixed or not.
Turn off the VPNs
Though VPNs are great for connecting to different locations and streaming/playing the content, sometimes they can consume a lot of bandwidth, impacting other running applications’ performance.
In case you are using a VPN on your system, check if it is running in the background or not. If it is actively running in the background, we recommend you close the VPN application by going to the task manager.
After the VPN is disabled, check if the error on Genshin Impact is fixed or not.
Change the DNS Server
In case you have network issues, then it might be a DNS error. If the DNS settings are not proper, you might not be able to connect to the internet properly. You can change the DNS settings by following the steps mentioned below:
- Press Windows logo + R and open the run command.
- Now, type control ncpa.cpl and click on ‘OK’.
- Right-click on the ethernet and click on properties.
- Now, open Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and see the properties.
- Put the preferred DNS as 184.108.40.206 and the alternate DNS server as 220.127.116.11.
- Save the changes.
For these DNS changes to take effect, you need to flush the cache on your system.
- Go to the run command.
- Type ipconfig /flushdns and hit the ‘Enter’ button.
Now, you will be able to play the Genshin Impact without any errors.
These are some of the common ways to fix the Genshin Impact “failed to check for updates” error.
In case, none of the above-mentioned methods works, you can try contacting the official Genshin Impact community and address this issue with them.