Gamertag is an identity that you create in the online gaming world. If you are not comfortable with the existing Gamertag on your Xbox, it is time to change to a new one.
However, you should also keep in mind that the Gamertag can be changed only once for free on Xbox. Hence, you need to think twice before you choose any Gamertag.
After changing the Gamertag once for free, Microsoft charges the gamers to change the Gamertag from the second attempt. This fee varies for different countries and regions.
How to Change Your Gamertag on Xbox App?
To change the Gamertag on your Xbox app, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, press the Xbox button present on the center of your Xbox controller. This will pop up the quick menu. Now, you can find the ‘Profile and System’ quick settings on the right side.
- Select your Xbox account and select the ‘My Profile’ option.
- Select the ‘Customize Profile’ option from the ‘Welcome’ page.
- You can now click on the current Gamertag and change to the new one.
- Type the new Gamertag and check its availability. The maximum number of characters you can have in a Gamertag is 12. If you are not getting your desired Gamertag, try adding numbers or spaces.
- Once you finalize the Gamertag, click on ‘Change Gamertag,’ and now the old Gamertag is available for others to register. Once the Gamertag is changed, your friends will be notified about your new Gamertag.
How to Change Your Gamertag online?
As discussed above, you need first to check if the desired Gamertag is available or not. In case you want to change the Gamertag online, first, you need to navigate to the tool to check the availability of your new Gamertag.
Once you navigate this site, you need to log in with your Microsoft account associated with your current Gamertag.
After you type the new Gamertag, click on ‘Check Availability’ and see if no other player has claimed it.
Once you are satisfied with the new Gamertag, click on next. This page will show you a preview of how your Gamertag looks across the other devices. If you are satisfied with the new Gamertag, click on the ‘Change Gamertag’ option.
After you make the changes, the new Gamertag notification will be automatically sent to your friends.
Can you Change the Gamertag on Xbox App for Smartphones?
You cannot change the Gamertag on the Xbox smartphone app. However, you can log in to your Microsoft account that is associated with the Gamertag through your phone’s browser and then change the Gamertag.
This process remains the same across all the devices like Xbox one console, Xbox 360, Windows 10 or 11, etc.
We hope this article has provided clear insights on how to change the Gamertag on the Xbox app on different devices.
Also, keep in mind that Microsoft allows only the first change of Gamertag free of cost. From the second change onwards, you need to pay a fee.
However, in certain countries, Microsoft does not allow players to change their Gamertag, even if they would like to pay a fee.