Final Fantasy XIV is an award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) developed by Square Enix.
Even after so many years, it remains one of the most popular entries in the Final Fantasy series.
However, players have reported experiencing FFXIV Error 2002. That pesky little message pops up when the game doesn’t want to work right.
Whether it’s a connection issue or something else, it always seems to happen at the worst time possible.
In this blog post, we’ll explain what the error is and how you can fix it.
So without further ado, let’s get started!
What is Final Fantasy XIV Error 2002?
FFXIV Error 2002 is error players have encountered since the game’s launch. The message usually reads, “Connection with server lost.”
There is a high volume of players using the game’s login server, which is the reason for the issue. It occurs if the world’s maximum number of players in the login queue reaches a certain level.
However, this error can be caused by several factors, including server issues, firewalls, anti-virus, and Internet settings.
Players have also reported that the error sometimes pops up even when they’re not trying to connect to the game server. In other words, it’s not always clear what causes the error.
How to Fix Final Fantasy XIV Error 2002?
There are a few things that you can try to fix FFXIV Error 2002. Let’s take a look at some of the solutions.
Restart The Router
One of the simplest things that you can try is restarting your router. This will often fix any connection issues that you might be having.
The DNS will be flushed, and temp data will be cleared when you restart the router, thereby resolving the problem.
If you’re not sure how to do this, follow the instructions that came with your router.
You need to turn off your router and unplug it. Before plugging it back in, wait about 30 seconds. After that, restart the router by pressing the power button.
If this method doesn’t work, try the other methods one by one.
Allow FFXIV Through The Pc And Router’s Firewall
The FFXIV 2002 Error occurs when a problem connects to the server. This could mean that a firewall is blocking the game’s connection request.
Firewalls can either be Windows firewalls or router firewalls. You may be able to fix the problem by having the game bypass these firewalls.
You can change the firewall settings on the PC and router for Final Fantasy XIV by following the steps below.
1. PC Firewall Settings
- Use the Windows + S shortcut to open the search bar. In the search box, type in Firewall and look for Windows Defender Firewall. To open it, click the button.
- Choose Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall from the left menu. Make sure Final Fantasy XIV is displayed in the app list. If not, continue with the next step.
- Select the Change Settings option. Then, choose the Allow another app… option. Navigate to the installation directory of Final Fantasy XIV and add the main executable.
- Make sure the Public and Private fields are checked. To save all settings, click OK.
2. Router Firewall Settings
- Navigate to your router settings by entering your web browser’s default gateway IP address.
- Note: When you don’t know the default gateway address, go to the Command Prompt and type the “ipconfig /all” command to find it. Then press Enter. It will show you a list of different settings and IP addresses. Ensure that you note the Default Gateway field.
- Enter the router credentials (username and password). Usually, you will find them written on your router. If these details aren’t readily available, you can contact your ISP.
- In the settings menu, find the Firewall option. Disable the Firewall option and then save the changes.
- If necessary, restart your router or PC.
Exclude FFXIV From Anti-Virus Security
You could also be getting FFXIV Error 2002 from your third-party anti-virus software. Anti-virus software can sometimes mistake game files for malicious files.
Ensure that Final Fantasy XIV is allowed through your anti-virus security in the anti-virus’ security settings. Alternatively, You may also uninstall the antivirus program completely.
While it is not recommended, there is a possibility that it might solve Error 2002. Here are the steps you need to follow to uninstall your anti-virus software.
- You can open the run box by pressing the Windows key + I and searching for appwiz.cpl.
- Now, right-click on the Antivirus software, then click Uninstall.
You can run the game after uninstalling your anti-virus software to see if it still encounters error 2002.
Uninstall The WTFast Software
Using WTFast, you can reduce your latency in certain games. When it comes to FFXIV, WTFast can actually be the reason for Error 2002.
According to many players, uninstalling WTFast fixes this problem. You can uninstall WTFast by following these steps.
- Make sure the uninstall goes smoothly by logging in with an admin account.
- In the search box, type control panel and select the Control Panel from the best match.
- Click Uninstall a Program under the Programs section.
- Then select Uninstall from the menu when you right-click WTFast. To complete this uninstallation, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Try restarting your computer and running the game again to see if the error persists.
Connect To The Internet With An Ethernet Cable
Some users have been able to resolve the FFXIV Error 2002 by connecting directly to the internet through an Ethernet cable.
Even though connecting to the internet through an Ethernet Cable is very simple, we highly recommend you do not use Wi-Fi as it may also cause this error.
Restart Windows Update Service
If you encounter the FFXIV error, you can restart the Windows update service. Following are the steps you can follow to do this:
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R. Then enter “services.msc” in the box and click OK.
- Look for the Windows Update service in the Services window.
- If the program is running, right-click it and select Restart.
- After that, if it is not running, select Start from the right-click menu.
- Next, select Windows Update service and double-click to access its properties. Change the Startup type to Automatic.
- To save the changes and verify that the issue has been resolved, click Apply > OK.
Reset Network Adapter
According to some players, you can fix FFXIV’s Error 2002 by resetting your Network Adapter.
You can reset your network adapter in the System settings by choosing Network reset. To do so, follow these steps:
- You can enter “network reset” in the Windows search box and press Enter.
- Click the Reset now button in the Network reset window. Then wait for your PC to restart.
- You can launch the game and see if that error still occurs.
Add Console To DMZ
A DMZ is used to provide full internet access to a device. It is also used for establishing connections that might not be possible otherwise.
Although DMZ settings are a bit unsafe, console players can resolve Error 2002 issues using them.
You can enable DMZ for your console by following these steps:
- Set up a static IP address for your console.
- Enter the default gateway address in the address bar of your browser to open your router settings. You need to log in to your router.
- In the settings menu, locate DMZ and enable it. Enter the static IP address you assigned your console in the host address field. You will need to restart your router after saving the changes.
We hope this guide has helped you resolve the FFXIV Error 2002. You can use several methods to solve the FFXIV Error 2002 listed above.
If this problem persists, we recommend that you contact customer support.
If you have any further questions or thoughts about this article, feel free to let us know in the comments below. We’ll try to help you out.
Thanks for reading!