Is steam not downloading games? Is steam not updating previously downloaded games?
Then you are in the right place, in this article, we will try to understand the issue and try a few different methods to resolve the issue.
Steam is basically a digital games service from where you can search and download your PC games.
It runs smoothly on your PC, but sometimes we face errors, but these errors can be solved too.
If you are facing difficulties in downloading games from Steam, here are some methods that will help you.
Also, Read: 10+ Best Steam Skins Available in 2021
How to Fix if Steam Not Downloading Games
Deleting the Steam Download Cache.
The problem is that you are not able to download games on steam because of a heavily downloaded app, but you don’t have to worry about it as this can be easily performed on a steam app.
Below are the steps on how you can delete the downloaded cache on the steam app.
- Firstly, open the Steam App on your computer.
- Then go to the homepage and at the top right corner click Steam.
- After that, you will see the dropdown window, then select Settings.
- A settings page will appear, select Download from the left side panel.
- Now,, scroll till the bottom, and you will find a CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE.
- Select it and press OK.
In this way, you can fix steam if it is not downloading.
Run Steam in Administrator Mode
This is also another option through which you can fix downloading issues on steam, only you have to run this team as an administrator.
It can also be the reason that your game is not able to be downloaded.
Below are the steps to solve it.
- Firstly, go to the windows homepage and right-click on the Steam shortcut.
- Then scroll down to Properties,
- And you will find compatibility from the options.
- After clicking on the compatibility option/tab, scroll down and select ‘Run this program as an administrator‘ with the tick.
- At last press OK and run with steam, and your issue will be resolved.
Changing the Region
This can also be another solution to download regions of your steam client. The problem can be the server which is not able to connect properly.
As we know, Steam servers all across the world have our IP address. So it is better to choose a regional server so that the speed should be optimal.
Below given are the steps for doing the same:
- Firstly, go to the Settings on the Steam app.
- On the left side panel, select Downloads.
- Now on the right you will see a window: On download region.
- Select a reason which you want.
- Click on that region and press OK.
Checking the Compatibility mode.
There are various types of reasons for which you are not able to download the games.
So, checking the compatibility mode is a must option as it will help you in figuring the games which are no longer compatible with your PC.
Here are the steps to do so:
- Firstly, open the Steam App and then go to the Library and right-click on the game which you are facing issues with.
- Then click on Properties.
- Then go to the Local Files and then click on Browse button.
- Now you have to find the executable file that launches the game.
- You can find this in the primary game folder or in some of the subfolders with ‘game-name.exe’ or similar.
- Then, try to open that exe file to check if it launches the game or not,
- Now, right-click on the file and select Properties.
- Now you will see the Compatibility tab,
- Click on ‘Run this program in compatibility mode‘, and select your OS from the drop down list.
- Save changes at last.
Checking antivirus software
Antivirus software can also cause interference that our steam cannot be downloaded.
We can check if the problem is there, for that we can disable the antivirus for some time and also make sure you check antivirus program documentation instructions while disabling it.
If it resolves the problem, then contact the support team of your anti-virus software and take the advice from them to install a different version.
Turning off Windows Defender Firewall
Here are the steps on how you can fix the steam using the Windows Defender firewall.
- Open start menu and click of Settings icon/label.
- Now, after opening Settings home, tap on the Update & Security.
- Now, go to the Windows Security tab and click on the Open Windows Security button.
- Now, after opening Windows Security, click on Virus & Threat Protection.
- Now, click on the Manage Settings which is under Virus & Threat Protection Settings.
- Finally, slide the toggle to turn OFF Real-time Protection.
If you turn the WDF off and it fixes, then you will have to add steam to Windows Defender Firewall’s allowed applications.
For doing this, you need to allow features through the Windows Defender firewall or allow an app that is on the left of the WDF control panel applet.
- Open control panel and go to the following settings, Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Defender Firewall.
- Then, click on the Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall which is located at the left side of the Windows Defender Firewall.
- Now, click on the Change Settings Button.
- After that, press the Allow Another App to open the window.
- Select Browse,
- And then open the Bin subfolder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin) which is in the steam folder within the browser window.
- Then click on the SteamService and click the OK button.
- After that, you have to select Steam Client Service (if available) and add the program window.
- Now press the Add button.
- Lastly, you have to select both checkboxes for the steam client service and then click the OK button.
If you are facing such issues that the Windows Defender Firewall is blocking steam updating, then you can resolve them by the above-mentioned steps.
Final Verdict – Steam Not Downloading Games
We hope any of these methods helped you to fix the issue where Steam not downloading games.
In case you didn’t understand something, or you can have any other queries regarding this article, then feel free to comment down below, we will be more than happy to assist you.